Nothing beats the ability to control the temperature in your home from wherever you are. If we are not wrong, you’re here because you are hunting for the best thermostat or just looking for information about the best thermostats.
You expect tons of industry terms and smart technical jargon to prove that we know what we’re talking about. Well, brace yourself, we intend to disappoint you by giving simple but helpful guides to buying the best WiFi thermostat and a whole lot of wireless and programmable thermostat reviews you can count on.
If you already have a thermostat model in mind…
Perhaps you don’t have enough time to dig through our reviews and are more interested in direct comparisons to help you choose the best thermostat model for your home. If so, you can head over to our comparison table above. It has a list of the wireless thermostats that we found best in our research. Also, we have reviewed all those thermostats on our website. You will find it quite useful for quick comparisons.
If you are specifically interested in a given brand, you can check out these top four smart thermostat brands.
You can find all the best thermostat reviews on their specific pages. There is more than enough there to help you choose the best thermostat for your home.
Alternatively, you could filter your preferences based on connectivity and capabilities.
01. Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation
- Keeps records for Energy History
- Automatically adjusts the temperature after you leave
- Easy to setup and installation
- You can change temperature through phone, tablet, or computer
- Can detect dangerous carbon monoxide gas
- Farsight – lights up nicely to show time, temperature or weather when spots you across the room
- Show the Leaf when choosing a temperature that saves energy
- Controls energy to save energy bills
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control
- 2 years limited warranty
The Nest is the best and top-rated wireless learning thermostat. With its learning capabilities, it quickly blends into your schedule and takes full charge of your home.
Unlike the Ecobee, you don’t have to set schedules and programs for the whole week.
Its learning capabilities, combined with impressive Wi-Fi apps for PCs, smartphones and tablets, make the nest one of the most impressive Wi-Fi thermostats on the market.back to menu ↑
02. Ecobee3 thermostat
- Works with Alexa for voice control
- Smart, truly smart – Intuitively understands when to turn on your heating or cooling equipment based on your home’s unique energy profile, outdoor weather, and thousands of other data points to ensure you’re comfortable at any time.
- It can sense life – understands whether you are in the home and which room you’ve occupied. So, it provides comfort while you are at home and saves you money by saving energy while you are not at home.
- Average battery life 35,000 Hours
- Save 23%* energy bills annually
- 3 years limited warranty
The internet of things is taking ground by storm. People are more interested in a gadget that will help automate their homes.
Even though most of the thermostats on our website are Wi-Fi enabled, very few approaches the ‘internet of things’ compliance you would find in the Ecobee3.
In our opinion, ecobee3 thermostat is one of the most compatible gadgets you would ever want on your side if you’re going to automate your home thoroughly.
What makes this thermostat even more interesting is that it comes with remote sensors and is compatible with every smart home system except Google Assistant. Ecobee has developed a toned-down version “ecobee3 lite smart thermostat” for budget shoppers and has also released Ecobee4.back to menu ↑
03. Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat
- Works with Alexa for voice control
- Customizable screen color to match any decor
- Selecting programmable mode can save annual heating and cooling cost. C-wire is required for proper installation
- Touchscreen device with password options and advance locking features to provide smart security and advantages
- Can access remotely to the device through PCs, smartphone or tablet with Honeywell’s Total Connect Comfort Service
- Compatible with thermostats with 110V or higher
- 1 year limited warranty
Nowadays, we have a touchscreen display on smartphones, tablets, and even laptops. For many of us in today’s age, completing a task through touching is much more preferable than pressing buttons.
Honeywell smart thermostats developers have understood the new generation technological demands of touchscreen devices. As a result, the Honeywell RTH9580WF smart thermostat wins the touchscreen battle hands-down with its big and vivid color touchscreen display.
It means better hands-on control and more information on the bigger screen, a noticeable feature that will always win a spot on all the touchscreen wireless thermostat reviews.
Unlike the Ecobee or the Nest, you can actually see the temperature readings on the Honeywell RTH9580WF from afar. This also makes it an excellent touchscreen thermostat for those with poor eyesight.back to menu ↑
04. Emerson Sensi ST55 Thermostat
- Energy star certified and can save up to 23% HVAC energy costs
- Easy to install, requires 30 minutes or less
- Works well with all HVAC equipment found in most homes. C-wire needed cool only, heat-only, and heat pump systems
- Compatible to work with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Samsung SmartThings, and Apple HomeKit (C-wire needed) smart home platforms
- Keeps records for current and historical HVAC and fan runtime right in the app
- Can control remotely from anywhere through smartphone or tablet
- The smart alert system detects and notifies the extreme humidity and temperature level in the home
- 3 years limited warranty
Emerson Sensi ST55 is one of the top-rated and user recognized thermostats. It has more than 4,500 positive customer reviews on Amazon. If you’re looking for a thermostat with the balance of functionality, accessibility, and complexity, then Emerson Sensi ST55 can be the right choice for you.
The Emerson Sensi ST55 is a smart programmable thermostat with an impressive app for control over Wi-Fi and support voice commend. Also, you can control your home comfort from anywhere using the Sensi mobile app through your smartphones or tablets. This app is compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
It’s an Energy Star certified thermostat and can save your HVAC energy costs up to 23% annually without compromising your comfort. Moreover, 70% of the users reported that they had installed this device within 30 minutes or less. However, what made it win the duel is the ease of thermostat controls and displays that make it a delight even to the least tech-savvy.back to menu ↑
05. Emerson 1F83C-11PR Thermostat
- Large and bright backlit display, easy to read even in low light
- Programmable schedule – 7 day or 5-1-1 or off
- 4 programmable periods for each day – wake, leave, return and sleep
- Dual fuel control – no sensors required
- Gives filter change reminder
- Advance features include keypad lock, backlight button, and temperature limits
- Easy to install – built-in-level indicator, pluggable terminals, and simple configuration menu
Some of you might be interested in a simple thermostat that will work with your conventional HVAC system. The Emerson 1F83C-11PR thermostat is a perfect choice in this case.
If you aren’t interested in touchscreens or captivating Wi-Fi control, you will find the Emerson 1F83C-11PR quite the stunner. It has a firm button and selector knobs that will let you control your conventional HVAC system without a fuss.
It is designed with compatibility in mind. So, this thermostat works with your home’s existing wires, and it features extensive consistency with heating, cooling, and heat pump system. Also, if you have no experience in thermostat installation before, don’t worry. An installation guide will come with the package where you will find step-by-step installation instructions with a clear setup diagram. In addition, it features a built-in layer, universal back plate, and a simple setup menu to get the installation done quickly.
However, Emerson is a reliable name in the thermostat industry. Be sure to go through all the Emerson wireless thermostat reviews before making your decision.back to menu ↑
06. Honeywell TH5110D1006 Thermostat
- Easy to read, big and clear backlit digital display
- 1.5 inches square standard display
- Effortless battery replacement door
- 1 Heat/1 Cool Conventional and Heat Pump
- Dual power system (battery or hardwire)
Sometimes, old school is always better. All you want is a simple thermostat that guides your HVAC to a specific temperature. No programs, no learning, no touch screens. Thus, the Honeywell TH5110D1006 Non-Programmable Thermostat does the same. The good thing about non-programmable thermostats is that they are cheap and will give you total control over your temperature.
They might not be the best thermostat for automation and energy conservation, but they work just fine.back to menu ↑
Why Buy a Smart Thermostat?
In most cases, a greater part of modern people is flexible enough to adapt to change, especially in the case of technology. In our case, we would say that the recent advancements in smart home technology are something that should be embraced. Although many of us get caught in the hype of one product to the extent that we miss the other, there are just some shifts that we must be part of –one of them is adopting the thermostat to control your HVAC.
If you have been using thermostats for a long time and switched between a couple of brands during this period or you are thinking of replacing your current thermostat, then you can think about Nest learning thermostat 3rd generation, which is currently best among thermostats.
Perhaps to answer this, let us start with a question. Did you know that heating and cooling systems are responsible for almost 50% of the total energy consumption in your home?
Now you know where those high bills come from! The best thermostat will give you greater control over your home’s temperature requirements, helping you save a lot on energy costs in the process.
Smart thermostats in your home do more than just to control the temperature. Check out these 6 benefits of installing a smart thermostat in your home before going through any of our wireless thermostat reviews.
- Makes your home eco-friendly: The first and most important reason for getting a thermostat is to save on your heating and cooling costs. Although thermostats won’t save you money directly the way switching the energy supplier will, they provide you with the ability to control the temperature anytime, which will help you save money in the long-run.
- You get to control the temperature of the house from anywhere: Are you away from home, and you’ve left kids or an older person alone in the home? Or are you still in bed, and you want to make a particular room or the entire house warm? Well, no need to worry since you can easily control your thermostat via your phone!
- They are easy to program: If you buy a programmable thermostat, then you will undoubtedly benefit from their modern screen design and simple control system, which makes them easy to use. Besides, most of the smart thermostat has its own smartphone app for both android and IOS platforms to control remotely.
- Smart thermostats help you analyze your energy usage: Smart thermostats like Nest, Ecobee, and Honeywell will track your energy usage and even send you monthly reports. Therefore, if you aren’t sure what inflates your energy costs, these reports will tell you that. Additionally, the Ecobee thermostat specifically will award you a rating based on your energy efficiency settings and usage.
- Monitor your home: When you’re away from home, you may want to see the way those you left behind are using your heating and cooling system. So, using the Smart Thermostat app, you can easily see and control the temperature of your home and turn off the HVAC system remotely if required.
- Smart thermostats don’t cost much: It would not be right to think that you have to spend a huge amount of money to buy a smart thermostat. You just need an average budget of $150 to $200 to get full control over your HVAC system, which will return much more than its value. It is, therefore, time to buy a smart thermostat.
Now you know how a smart thermostat can have a positive impact on your daily life. Therefore, it is time to consider whether or not you are going to take control of your HVAC system to take advantage of the low energy consumption.back to menu ↑
How to Choose the Right Thermostat for Your Home
Buying the best thermostat is not as simple as many people think. It’s not just a matter of a well-known brand or a good looking design. There’re lots of things to take into consideration before making a purchase decision. Most of us usually make some mistakes when buying something for the first time, and the thermostat is not something different in that case. The common mistake we do frequently when purchasing a thermostat is to look for brands instead of functionality. As a result, it could be very irritating if your thermostat started giving problems after a couple of months.
We’ve created this site to help you choose the best products for your home use. Besides, we intend to assist you in selecting the right thermostat for your home that not only suits your budget but also performs as expected. Also, we don’t want you to fall into confusion or face problems like many other people when buying thermostats. That’s the reason we’ve come up with these thermostat reviews and prepared a thermostat buying guide for you.
Even before you think of where to buy a thermostat, you should know which thermostat is right for your needs. Is it a Wi-Fi thermostat, a programmable thermostat, or a digital thermostat? To answer all these confusing questions as well as to help you to understand which thermostat to buy for your home, we’ve made a comprehensive thermostat buying guide.back to menu ↑
Which Heating and Cooling System Do You Use?
Your current heating and cooling system plays a major role in choosing a thermostat for your home. You will actually go through some conditions that indicate the type of heating and cooling system your thermostat will work with.
The most common terms are single and two-stage. Heating systems usually have additional terms –three-stage support. In this context, multiple stage support means that your heating system is more efficient and allows for a smoother operation.
Heating and cooling systems are designed in such a way that there’s only room for a system to work with multiple stages. However, some thermometer models can work with up to 3 cooling functions and 4 heating functions. Also, if your heating system doesn’t allow for two-stage heating, a thermostat can help you set a secondary heat source.
Therefore, if your system allows for hot air, baseboard heat, and air conditioning, you can easily set the baseboard as a first stage and the hot air system as a second stage since your heating system is the two heat and one cooling system. The best thermostat to buy for this kind of setting would be one that supports one cool and three heat sources.back to menu ↑
This reason is enough to buy a new thermostat or replace the existing one. Therefore, some people like to purchase a thermostat for this reason, and some people want to buy a thermostat to reduce energy consumption. So, we made up our mind to include the best thermostats that save energy on our website.
There are many programmable thermostats available in the market that you can program according to your schedule. Also, there are some thermostats like Nest wireless Learning Thermostat that automatically learn your schedule and control your heating and cooling system accordingly. In addition, there are a few more advanced models that will send you an email with a report showing how much you have saved in energy usage.
However, if you haven’t read about smart thermostats, here is a comprehensive list of the reasons you need to buy a smart thermostat. So, check out the reviews before commenting on any of the wireless thermostats.back to menu ↑
Do you want to control your thermostat remotely?
Some thermostats can be controlled via a wireless internet connection (Wi-Fi), while others have to be set manually. Therefore, if you want full functionality from the smart thermostat as expected, your home must have Wi-Fi.
Depending on your requirements, you can decide for either you buy a thermostat that uses Wi-Fi or not. To make a choice, think about your energy conservation needs and whether the ability to switch off your AC system remotely will actually help you reduce your utility bills or improve convenience.back to menu ↑
These are some of the factors that will guide you when you want to buy a thermostat. While this isn’t a complete list, we hope it’s a good guide to your bid for the best thermostat and energy conservation in your home. We hope the above reviews will help you find the best wireless thermostat on the market right now. However, feel free to ask us about these reviews or especially any product and we will be happy to help.