Sometimes, you don’t need an expensive or a smart thermostat to know the temperatures of your house or any other building or room you walk into.
All you need is a small but accurate temperature detection unit that will read and display the current temperature. If possible, connect it straight to your smartphone via Wi-Fi. However, temperature sensors are the device you can rely on in such cases. They are also electronic devices as usual and can be handy for your home or office. Especially if you live in a country that has extreme temperatures round the year. Therefore, the temperature sensor will also notify you about the temperature similar to a movement sensor. Once configured, It will instantly send a text or email notification to you if the temperature in the place where you set it triggers the sensor. In the past, remote temperature sensors were large, expensive, and based on monthly fees.
Therefore, in this article, we will take a closer look at one of the most popular temperature sensors – the Temp Stick wireless temperature and humidity sensor. It has marketed by Ideal Sciences, and it has no subscription fee.
#Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor
- Remote Wi-Fi temperature and humidity Monitor. 5 years warranty but you have to buy the last sensor.
- Over 1 year battery life! fully wireless and battery-operated sensor (Batteries included). No wires or gateway required.
- Sends text or email notifications for Hi/Lo temperatures, humidity levels, internet connection loss, and low battery.
- Connect remotely from anywhere using a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Monitor temperature and humidity in your home, attic, walk-in cooler, fridge by connecting to your Wi-Fi.
- 24/7 accurately monitor conditions.
- Data logging with Unlimited History. No subscription fee.
- 7 days-a-week free email and phone support! Quick, knowledgeable help.
- Made In USA. Support US Manufacturing & Ingenuity.
Design and Appearance
The Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor is a state of the art wireless detection unit that keeps track of the sensitive weather conditions like humidity and the current temperature. It is a simple gadget to use, just make a connection to your household network, and you’ll be able to get notifications via text or e-mail at the moment significant variation in temperature and humidity happens.
At a glance, the Temp Stick is a rectangular sensor that doesn’t draw much attention to itself. This is good since the temp stick runs on battery, and minimizing onboard controls has a profound impact on battery life. The wireless temp stick will only connect to the server and actively use the wireless connection when doings its routine data log or triggering temperature too high or temperature too low alarms.
By variation, we don’t mean every time the temperature moves up or down by a degree. When running your configuration, you will choose the maximum or minimum temperature. Once the temp stick wireless sensor reads this temperature, it will activate the system over at IdealScientific to sent warning emails to different email addresses listed on your account.
Remotely Control from Your IdeaScientific Account
This is by far the coolest thing you get from this temp stick as it expands its use case scenarios tremendously. This will act as a remote but reliable sensor for holiday house or RV that warns you when the temperatures skip a predetermined value indicating a thermostat or AC failure. It will also work perfectly when monitoring any warehouse that stores temperature-sensitive items but cannot be monitored manually on a continuous basis.
A Bit Fidgety Set Up
Most wireless routers will transmit on 5GHz and 2.4GHz, so very few people have any trouble with devices working on one frequency. You might be at a loss if your router runs on 5GHz Wi-Fi only as the Temp Stick will not work with the router.
If you’ve resolved this issue, you’ll have to wait for a while. Probably 15 minutes before seeing the first data dump at idealsciences.com/sensors/dashboard since there is no indicator on the Temp Stick sensor or your account to confirm an active connection. This could be because the device only links to the network when ready to transition to save on power. You can check it out on your router’s DHCP list to find out if you are good to go faster.
The free Android and iOS app will come in handy when accessing the Temp Stick directly, while the lone LED light that indicates when the sensor is working is a reassuring sight. The 2 AA size batteries are good for 6 to 12 months, depending on how often you configure the sensor to upload collected data.
The Hard Facts
- Dimensions: 3.5″ x 1.5″ x 1.25″
- Number of Sensors: 1
- Factory-calibrated, excellent long term stability
- High Accuracy Temperature Sensor: ±0.4 °C (max)
- Temperature Operating range Up to –40 to +125 °C
- Precision Relative Humidity Sensor : ± 4% RH (max), 0–80% RH
- 0 to 100% RH operating range.
The Online Dashboard is Comprehensive and Powerful
All the data that streams into your account is saved online and used to plot an intuitive graph that will give you a great snapshot of the temperature readings whenever you log in. This is sufficient for anyone running a noncritical system that can endure a temperature change for a while. Moreover, if you can set your email or text warnings to kick in when the temperatures are deviating from the norm but still within range, you will still have enough time to remedy any problems before they escalate into a fatality.
The unlimited data log with no subscription required makes it ideal for more than mere monitoring. You can use it to optimize temperature and humidity sensitive applications like,
- A greenhouse
- A storage area, warehouse or go down
- Your home when you are away for a while
- An unmonitored RV or vehicle with pets around
- Your fridge or freezer
- Storage containers or rooms for perishable products
Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor Features
The Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor has a variety of advantageous features that make it a handy gadget to use. Especially if you need to remotely monitor the temperature for any warehouse where you store temperature-sensitive products. However, here is the explanation for some of the key features,
This device offers all day and week supervision of the weather conditions, and it will notify you if its power is low. You can rely on it at any time for temperature and humidity updates.
Alerts & Unlimited Historical Data
Once it’s connected, you simply relax, and it works for you by offering you notifications and alerts while you perform other activities. In addition, it provides steady temperature and humidity data that it collects periodically.
Compatibility and flexibility
This gadget is excellent; the data it sends is viewable on a variety of devices. It’s applicable for the PC as well as both Android and iOS. It enables one to verify information from anywhere without any geographical limitations. What it gives the user is the ability to move around and still receive the alerts they need
Pros & Cons
- Satisfactory battery life
- Comprehensive history reporting at the online serve
- Low maintenance configure and forget approach
- Provides low battery warning
- Different ID and naming to allow multiple sensor monitoring and management
- No true real-time reporting
- Frequent reporting settings will sit heavy on your battery life
- Troubleshooting connection to server more of trial and error since the sensor gives no error codes at all
- You must use the right lithium batteries when using in extreme cold or heat environments. Check battery tolerance before purchasing replacements
- No temperature or humidity display on the sensor
Overall, the Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor will help keep you and your family abreast of all weather conditions. It has a simple setup procedure and is very easy to use.