We think Toronto based Ecobee is the only qualified competitor in the smart thermostat market dominated by Honeywell and Nest. Hence, Ecobee offers a wide of highly efficient thermostats and sensors that fill the obvious gap left by the market players. One such device is the Ecobee3 thermostat.
The most significant feature on the Ecobee3 smart thermostat is the Remote Wireless Sensor. So, you no longer have to wake up in the middle of the night, shivering only to walk into a warm living room since the thermostat can’t sense the temperatures of your room.
Remote sensors allow you to monitor the temperature of any far-flung room by sending the remote response back to the thermostat. However, Ecobee WiFi thermostats have more to offer than remote sensors that we will discuss in this Ecobee3 review article.
The Ecobee remote access goes beyond a smartphone app and ventures into Apple Watches or any device running Siri. This combined with native knowledge. For instance, most people who sleep between 11.00 pm and 06.00 am will let them cut up to 23 percent on their energy bill. However, let’s dig deeper into our Ecobee3 review to reveals further and try to understand why you might think of it as your next best buy smart thermostat.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa voice control (sold separately).
- Smart, really smart – Intuitively understand when to turn your heating and cooling system based on your home’s unique power profile, outdoor weather and thousands of other data points to ensure you are comfortable at any time.
- Can sense life – it can senses whether someone is at home and which rooms are occupied. Thus, deliver comfort when you are at home and saves energy and money when away.
- Cut your energy bills – With Ecobee, a homeowner can reduce their energy bills by an average of 23% annually (learn more at ecobee.com/savings), paying for itself in energy savings.
The Ecobee3 thermostat assumes a square shape with curved edges and a black bezel that blends evenly into the dark 3.5-inch touch screen. A small sensor at the very bottom left and a proud ‘Ecobee’ label in the center. These make the Ecobee thermostat tinier than conventional Honeywell thermostats but as classical as the famous Nest thermostats.
Also, the Ecobee3 remote sensor assumes the same shape but is a bit smaller and is clad in pure white. It also has a small motion sensor to detect when someone is around.back to menu ↑
Appearance and Performance
The Ecobee3 interface reminds us of our smartphone. It has a lock screen that displays the current temperature in large numbers and a couple of icons on local weather. Also, if the motion sensor spots you around it, the display will change to a vertical line. The upper half has blue dots and the lower half orange. Each has a small circle of the ultimate cooling or heating temperature that you can adjust by dragging up or down, Simple!
We must admit, you will find the Ecobee3 thermostat controls simpler and easier to understand. It’s easy to set schedules, reminders, and vacation modes. A weather forecast icon located in the center of the action panel keeps you in touch with the outside world while the icon to the right toggles home and away mode.
The thermostat is nimble and responds quickly. It doesn’t matter whether you’re manually changing the settings using the app or thermostat display or have set it to follow you. The Follow Me feature lets the Ecobee smart thermostat to air-condition the rooms while detects motion in. Moreover, it will not only keep your home or office warm or cool but also ensure it doesn’t waste energy when you are away.back to menu ↑
Why we liked Ecobee3 Wi-Fi Thermostat
- It is small but powerful. It doesn’t have an imposing size making it blend into the wall. The intuitive user interface makes it as powerful and informative as any other smart home thermostat adding a 5 inch screen.
- Instant response to App and web portal app inputs. This makes it simple to manage the Ecobee3 while on the go.
- Connects to smart home systems making it a seamless addition to the internet of things. Compatible with Apple HomeKit Integration, SmartThings, Vera, and Control4 smart home systems.
- Compatible with the famous automation tool like IFTTT(if this then that uses simple logical blocks to yield actions, for instance, turn on Home Setting when you are in the neighborhood)
- Siri’s voice command works like a charm. If you like talking to your thermostat, you can find the full list of Ecobee Siri commands here.
Additional Reasons Why You Should Consider the Ecobee3 thermostat
Although the Ecobee brand started with a bit of deviation here and there, it’s now a notable performer and worthy competitor in the smart thermostat market. Therefore, you will find it as modern and impressive as the top brands in the market. It covers all the basics you would want in a smart thermostat and includes a couple of additional benefits as well. However, some of the noticeable add-ons include,
- The remote sensors to give better control in bigger homes
- The Power Extender Kit to help you run the C-Wire faster
- Partnership with home automation gurus like SmartThings
Pros & Cons
- Easy to use
- Intuitive user interface
- A remote sensor allows you to monitor the temperature for more than one room
- Works with reknown automation tools like IFTTT
- Compatible with Apple HomeKit Integration, Vera, SmartThings, and Control4 smart home systems
- Installation can be complicated
How to Install the Ecobee3 Wifi Thermostat
The Ecobee3 thermostat doesn’t have an inbuilt battery. It means you have to install the C-wire. Ecobee believes this is a more reliable power source. We’re obliged to agree as it means you don’t have to worry about swapping the battery a little bit too soon.
If you have the right residential furnace or air conditioning unit, you will find it quite a pleasure to expand your own C-wire using the bundled Power Extender Kit.
If you are not sure about this, you can consider getting an installation quote from a professional as you are going to get long term benefits from it.
The sensors run on CR2032 coin-cell batteries that last for approximately 4 years. You just have to stick your remote sensor where you want it, and you are good to go.
The setup procedure includes entering a Wi-Fi password, configuring your location, and introducing the Ecobee to your home by telling it what type of HVAC you are running. The Ecobee3 thermostat can connect with up to 32 wireless sensors, each having an effective range of 45 feet.back to menu ↑
Ecobee thermostats are innovative, powerful, and appealing. Ecobee has managed to look beyond the current smart thermostat requirements and develop a solution that not only betters on what you want now but also anticipates your future needs by hooking into the internet of things.
If you aren’t yet sure what type of smart thermostat would be perfect for your home, feel free to check our other best thermostats reviews like Honeywell thermostats or Nest learning thermostat 3rd generation. Pay attention to the smart thermostat features as well as the reputation (user reviews). Also, which one is most suitable and beneficial for you according to your budget and needs.
After reading our Ecobee3 thermostat review, if you feel that the Ecobee3 the right thermostat for your home, you check out the current market price for this thermostat on Amazon. Alternatively, you can go for the more advanced and upgraded model Ecobee4 thermostat.